We are here for you

North Carolina Lawyer

Social Security Benefits for a Disabled Child in North Carolina

Are you looking to obtain Social Security benefits for a disabled child in North Carolina who is younger than 18? He or she may qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. You will need to submit an application for benefits with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and provide it with the requested documentation.

Two-thirds of disability applications initially are denied, often because the applicant made mistakes or omissions on the forms or didn’t provide adequate proof of the child’s disability. You can prevent mishaps in the application process by having a legal professional assist you. For a lawyer in Winston-Salem who specifically handles SSI cases for children, contact Chad Brown Law.

What are the SSI Eligibility Requirements for Children in North Carolina?

To qualify for SSI, there are physical/emotional disability qualifications and financial requirements. In order for your child to be eligible for SSI, the following three factors must be true.

  • Your child must not earn more than $1,090/month. This figure changes slightly each year; you can ask your lawyer for the current figure. Also, because SSI is a need-based program, income, and resources of the family members living with the child also are taken into consideration.
  • Your child must have “a physical or mental condition, or a combination of conditions, that result in marked and severe functional limitations.”
  • Your child’s condition must be expected to be disabling for at least 12 months or expected to be fatal.

How do I Apply for SSI Benefits for my child in North Carolina?

Though you can apply for disability benefits directly with the SSA, we recommend you consult our disability firm first. There are many forms you will have to complete and specific information you will have to supply to the SSA about your child. Many claimants find this process daunting and complicated. The good news is, you do not have to go at alone. We can prepare your case for the best outcome.

You will have to complete an application for SSI and a Child Disability Report. The Child Disability Report asks for detailed information about your child and requests your permission for the SSA to speak with your child’s doctor about his/her condition. You also can use the Medical and School Worksheet – Child worksheet, which gives you information about how to prepare for the disability interview.

After you complete the application process, the SSA will make a technical determination, complete the file, and transfer your case to the Disability Determination Services.

You will need to provide substantial and compelling proof that your child is truly disabled and has severe functional limitations. This is not always easy to accomplish, particularly if your child’s condition is mental or behavioral in nature. For assistance substantiating your child’s need for benefits, contact Chad Brown Law at (800) 556-9115 and speak with one of our disability lawyers. The consultation is free.

Contact Us

Request a free consultation using our toll-free number:


322 E Broad St. Street


NC 28687

(704) 992-3002

104 Broad St

Wilkesboro, NC 28697

(336) 818-9828